Today, I started to tackle one of my projects. This has been an ongoing thing for literally years. I have been collecting frames to make a wall collage of the kids, dogs and our whole family if we have room.
I first started by mapping out the area I selected for my frames. I cut out pieces of paper the same size as the frames and taped them on the wall. This way you can get a feel of how they will work and move things around before the hole making starts. I really hate this step, but I knew if I wanted my husband to help me it had to be done.
Below, they started to go up one by one.
Here is the finished project for now. Not quite finished, but better then the frames stacked in my hallway. I need to pick out more pictures to fill the frames, and if I would have taken his picture a little higher you would see I have some space yet to go for it to be complete.
Costumes at our house this year seemed to be a little challenging. My daughter has wanted to be Hannah Montana since last year, so I finally gave in on that one and my son was undecided until around a week ago.
Maddie's costume just sort of happened. She had a lot of the stuff already and I purchased a wild shirt in juniors @ Walmart. The shirt turned out to be a Mylie Cyrus shirt, which I didn't even realize until I cut the tags off of it. The wig was a $3.00 bargain and thank goodness that is all I paid for it. I finally got it to stay better by putting in a ponytail with her real hair. But I still heard all night how itchy it was, so needless to say it didn't get worn much and will not be worn again.
Sam was my labor intensive costume. I ripped strips upon strips of fabric, then dyed it with Rid color tan. Next, I took some long underwear I purchased and began hot gluing strips on one by one. With a few nasty burns and a little cutting and stretching we had a mummy.
Tip for anyone using hot glue on something like this, stretch it while you are making it. There is not a lot of give once it has been glued. For the head piece I ended up using ribbon with strips glued on. I originally bought a ski mask and glued, etc. and found out it didn't fit his head once I was done.
After dealing with the H1N1 for the past three weeks, I did manage to make a peacock costume for my daughter. She has wanted to be a peacock for about 6 months, there was no talking her out of it. Excuse the poor pictures, kids and pictures on Halloween don't mix.
So as a crafty Mom I broke out my hot glue gun and started to glue feathers to a cheap pair of fairy wings that I covered with black felt. Of course I glued my poor fingers a few times, man that hurts. I made a easy tutu for the skirt. And she was a happy peacock. My kids told me that is was the best Halloween ever a few times as we were trick or treating. That made gluing my fingers worth it.
This was after trick or treating, so we are a little disheveled .